Data Management Courses
Building Enterprise Data Management Capabilities
Certification: Enterprise Data Management Associate (EDMA)
This 22-hour course for 12-25 students provides a comprehensive education in fundamental data management concepts and practices, addressing core capabilities needed for an organization to be successful in managing its critical data. Building EDM Capabilities empowers the student to:
- Understand data management from an organization-wide perspective
- Become an informed advocate for building data management capabilities
- Learn their role in managing and improving the data assets
- Understand the business benefits of sound data management processes
- Identify organizational challenges to implementation and how to overcome them
- Apply data management concepts through class exercises
- Leverage practical class materials for their own work with data.
Why Take this Course?
The class encourages collaboration and a thorough understanding of how you can be actively engaged in building, improving and sustaining the organization’s data assets. You will learn practical skills to build know-how and confidence to be an active participant in data governance tasks, and be able to immediately apply your knowledge to data-related work.
Format: The course format includes lecture, discussion, quizzes, handouts and templates, and team exercises, applying data management practices to implementation plans and tasks. Students benefit from extensive real-world examples of approaches, achievements, and challenges drawn from many industries and organizations.
Audience: No prior knowledge of data management is required. Our attendees are typically drawn from the following roles:
- Business data experts and data stewards
- Business and IT leaders
- Data management professionals.
- IT data professionals
- Risk, audit and privacy staff.
Class Schedule — Building EDM Capabilities
For each of the DMM’s 25 process areas, we explore:
- Data management activities and key work products
- Benefits to the organizations of performing the process well
- Challenges to implementing the processes and how to overcome them
- Key factors supporting successful implementation.
Concepts are applied and clarified through examples, class activities and exercises.
Is your organization interested in sponsoring this class?
Data Management Strategy
Platform & Architecture
Enterprise Data Management Expert
This intensive five-day on-site class is designed for 2-4 students who want to master how to use the DMM of DCAM for internal program development or external consulting. Students learn in detail how to conduct a complete Data Management Assessment for any organization, deliver actionable results, and assure client satisfaction. This information-packed class can be compared to a graduate education in data management programs.
The first course module, Implementing Enterprise Data Management, empowers attendees to achieve a thorough knowledge of the DMM or DCAM reference models, and a firm grounding in best practices for implementing EDM programs and drive data management process improvements.
- Employing a detailed case study in a team setting, students apply data management implementation approaches and methods to an organization, including:
- Developing an enterprise-wide data quality program
- Learning how an organization succeeds in implementing data management
- Gaining a detailed understanding of critical data management practices and how they are linked in the Data Management program
- Learn how to lead organizational change management for the Data Management Program.
- Attendees who successfully complete this class will be equipped to design Data Management Programs and to lead implementation efforts, either for their own organization or as an expert consultant.
Class Schedule — Implementing EDM
The second portion of the course, Conduct a Data Management Assessment, fully equips students to lead an Assessment for any organization in any industry, write a strategic and substantive report, and create a customized roadmap for Data Management Program implementation.
The Assessment provides immense benefits to an organization, including forging a shared vision, engaging data governance, and developing an actionable, customized multi-year data management roadmap for rapid results.
The emphasis is leadership, including preparing for and conducting a DMM Assessment, writing a compelling report and executive briefing, managing process improvement efforts, developing data management business cases, and sustaining engagement over time.
Employing a detailed case study, attendees will prepare for and conduct an in-class Data Management Assessment for selected topics, developing knowledge and confidence to guide an organization through a Data Management Assessment, step-by-step:
- How to develop the Scope of Work
- How to prepare the client organization
- How to facilitate the Assessment workshops
- How to conduct work product reviews
- How to conduct Assessment interviews
- How to structure and develop the Assessment Report
- How to develop business cases for data management initiatives
- How to sequence the Data Management Roadmap
- How to prepare and deliver a compelling executive briefing.
Attendees will be fully equipped and empowered to precisely evaluate data management programs and synthesize a targeted, optimal improvement path.
Class Schedule — Conducting a DMM Assessment
Audience: Suitable for any individual who wants to master the DMM or DCAM for Data Management Program design and implementation, and is interested in conducting Data Management Assessments.
Prerequisite: Before attending the EDME course, participants must complete the Building Enterprise Data Management Capabilities class and course exam.